Home > About Pantages
The Pantages Theatre was named in honor of legendary impresario Alexander Pantages, and the building is one of Hollywood's greatest landmarks. Originally conceived as the grandest of all the Hollywood Boulevard movie palaces, The Pantages has a history as grand and diverse as the stage and screen fare that attracted audiences for the better part of the past century. In January of 1977, the Forman family’s Pacific Theatres joined forces with the Nederlander Organization to bring live theatre back to Hollywood. Among the most influential producers and presenters of live Broadway theatre in the world, the Nederlander Organization lent its monumental expertise to the task and under the combined Nederlander-Forman aegis, the Pantages opened its doors in February 1977 as one of the finest legitimate theatres in California. From that time until the present, the Pantages Theatre has been the Los Angeles home for scores upon scores of live theatre attractions, most of which have been large scale Broadway musical hits. In the year 2000, The Nederlander Organization, spent over $10 million to renovate The Pantages, effectively restoring the luster and majesty the theatre had when it opened its doors to the public in 1930. Today, The Pantages is widely considered to be Southern California's premiere showplace for big Broadway hits.